While each of us aren’t sure what impact car stereos, huge stereo systems and iPods have had on our hearing over the years, one simple constant is that our hearing does decline as we pass through middle age. Some of the known impacts are:
- Decreased high-frequency hearing
- Decreased ability to discriminate some sounds
- Most often, this change is noticed as the inability to listen to a particular voice or sound in a noisy environment.
- As well, people who work with a lot of background or noise may have difficulty hearing verbal instructions.
What can you do to help yourself?
- Use hearing protection whenever recommended
- Reduce background noise
- Avoid high-frequency noise
- Set your cell phone on ring and vibrate to avoid missing important calls
- Use equipment with adjustable noise levels (e.g. phone, headsets)
- Use visual alarms as back-up for auditory alarms