The aging process plays a lot of tricks on us. Some are on the outside and others play out on the inside. Hormone and immune function are two that occur internally and can pack a punch by impacting our energy and physiological response to our work environment.
Here are some of the common age-related changes from the endocrine and immune systems:
- Decreased tolerance to heat or cold
- Decreased inflammatory response
- Increased risk of infections
- Decreased insulin production and decreased thyroid function
- Lower overall work capacity
What to do?
- Take breaks each hour to stand up and stretch your upper body
- Avoid work in hot or cold environments or ensure that appropriate clothing is available
- Where possible, avoid repetitive-motion work and encourage task rotation
- Take precautions to avoid infection
- Keep healthy snacks in the office and drink lots of water